What is Juvederm Voluma Filler?
Juvederm Voluma injectable gel is a hyaluronic acid filler intended for deep placement to correct age-related volume loss in the midface. Juvederm Voluma lifts the cheeks and addresses sagging skin at its source. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring, hydrating substance found in your skin. As you age, you start to lose hyaluronic acid, which causes the skin to lose structure and volume. Juvederm Voluma provides a subtle lift, helping to restore contour and a more youthful profile. With optimal treatment, natural-looking results last up to 2 years.
Voluma is typically placed in the cheek area and lateral face (along the zygomatic arch). An advanced technique that uses Voluma is the 8-point lift, also known as V4/J4. In this method, Voluma is first injected at 4 points in the midface, and then Juvederm Ultra Plus is used at 4 points in the lower face for total volume replacement. Lifting the midface first with Voluma often yields better results than simply filling in lines with Juvederm Ultra Plus. Voluma is often combined with other fillers for optimal correction.
How is Juvederm Voluma injected?
Juvederm Voluma is meant to be placed deep under the skin to support the facial structure. Often is is placed directly on periosteum (on top of bone). It is injected in precise locations using a small needle. In some instances it might be injected with a cannula.
Do Voluma injections hurt?
Injections with Juvederm Voluma have mild discomfort, similar to other injectables. Icing before the procedure is helpful. Voluma has lidocaine mixed in with it, so the area gets numbs as you inject it.
Are there side-effects with Juvederm Voluma?
Like any facial filler, swelling and bruising can occur. Less common side-effects are possible, such as blood vessel occlusion or injection. Always have your injection done by an experienced dermatologist. Discuss all the risks and benefits before the procedure and review the full product label.
What else should you know about Juvederm Voluma?
- It is the first Hyaluronic Acid (HA) filler FDA-approved to instantly add volume to the cheek area, resulting in a subtle lift
- Clinically proven to last up to 2 years with optimal treatment.
- After 24 hours, you should be able to resume your normal activities
- Side effects are moderate and generally last 2 to 4 weeks. Common side effects include temporary reactions at the treatment site such as tenderness, swelling, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, pain, redness, discoloration, and itching.
- Don’t take any blood thinners (unless prescribed by a physician) or NSAID pain relievers (e.g. Motrin, Advil) for one week prior to the procedure.
- If possible do not wear makeup to your appointment, or wear sunscreen or moisturizers.
Where else can Voluma be injected?
Voluma is used off-label in many areas of the face where deep filling and lift is needed, including the temple area and jawline. A “liquid lift” can be achieved by injecting Voluma along the brow and hairline.